If I deliver something like pizza, does my car insurance cover me?

January 5, 2017


When there’s nothing in the fridge or you’re feeling a bit too tired to cook who do you call? The pizza delivery guy! Food delivery services have become integrated in our daily lives for its convenience factor. It can also provide some extra cash or a well-needed income for many. Most delivery men and women use their own vehicles to make deliveries. What if you get into an accident while making a delivery? Does your car insurance cover you?

Generally, your personal auto insurance policy will not cover you if you are delivering pizza since you are getting paid and it is not considered a “personal use”. This applies to any type of delivery service, not just pizza or food delivery. Examples include drug store deliveries and “passenger deliveries”, that involve the transportation of passengers. So if you get into a car accident using your own car, your insurance company may deny your claim, leaving you to pay the entire cost out-of-pocket.

So how do you protect yourself when delivering a product? There are a few options. The most common choice is to get a commercial vehicle policy. You may also be able to receive coverage from your employer. For drivers using their personal vehicles for work-related activities, many companies offer a non-owned vehicle liability insurance. Make sure to ask them if they offer this type of coverage. Besides this, there are some insurance companies who offer their own form of “pizza delivery insurance”. They may offer special policies or supplemental coverage to a personal property that covers those who deliver.

Did you know that driver-sales jobs including pizza delivery ranked 5th in the list of the top 10 most dangerous jobs? According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 38 deaths were reported per 100,000 workers, 29 due to accidents and 9 due to assaults and robberies.

Because of this, you may need to get coverage for workers compensation. Workers compensation would cover you in the event of a work-related injury or illness. It provides payment of medical expenses and lost wages, if necessary. So if you do get into a car accident while delivering pizza, your non-owned vehicle liability insurance, commercial auto insurance, or special policy would provide coverage for damage to your vehicle, while the workers compensation would provide coverage to any injuries you may have sustained during the accident.

Make sure you talk to your employer and insurance company to make sure you have the right coverage to keep yourself safe when delivering for your job. Feel free to call us at 415-386-2283 or email us at [email protected] for any questions or concerns you may have.


Contributor: Smruthi Sriram
Source: TrustedChoice, The BalanceU.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics