In general, rule of thumb suggests that you should have an amount of life insurance equal to 6 to 8 times your annual earnings. However, many factors should be taken into account when determining the right amount of life insurance for you and your family.
Important factors include:
- Income sources (and amounts) other than salary/earnings
- Whether or not you are married and, if so, what your spouse’s earning capacity is
- The number of individuals who are financially dependent upon you
- The amount of death benefits payable from Social Security and from an employer-sponsored life insurance plan
- Whether any special life insurance needs exist (e.g., mortgage repayment, education fund, estate planning need, etc.)
Calculating the correct amount of life insurance to buy is not as simple as it appears. We recommend contacting us for help determining the right amount of coverage. As independent agents, we are unbiased advisers that will help you avoid buying too much, show you appropriate optional coverage for your need and recommend a company that will best serve your interests.
All Images from Google
Contributor: Smruthi Sriram