Important Dates and Facts Regarding 2018 Open-Enrollment
It’s that time of the year again! We’re in the midst of fall meaning we have many upcoming holidays to look forward to. In the excitement of holiday season, don’t forget the important deadlines for enrolling for health insurance!
Here are some important dates regarding Covered California’s open-enrollment for 2018 Coverage:
- Receive your renewal notice and verification documents in the mail October 15-31, 2017
- Open-enrollment period begins on November 1, 2017
- Best day to purchase insurance by is December 15, 2017*
- 2017 individual coverage ends on December 31, 2017 regardless of when you enrolled
- 2018 coverage begins on January 1, 2018 if enrolled by December 15, 2017
- Last day to pay to avoid a gap in coverage is January 1, 2018
- Open-enrollment period ends on January 31, 2018, the last day to apply for coverage for the year.
*Even though open enrollment is open until January 31, 2018, it is best to purchase insurance before December 15, 2017. This way your coverage starts on January 1, and you take full advantage of your annual medical deductible which works on a calendar year.
Here are some important facts and things to know as you prepare to enroll for health insurance this year:
- Medi-Cal and Covered California use the same application
- When you apply, depending on factors such as your family size, income, citizenship, or immigration status, you may qualify for one of the following:
– A Covered California health plan with or without financial assistance
– County Children’s Health Initiative Program
– Medi-Cal Access Program for pregnant women
- Medi-Cal enrollment is year round
- Consumers who experience a qualifying life event can enroll in a Covered California health insurance plan even outside of the open-enrollment period through special enrollment.
- Covered California is the Health Insurance Exchange for the state of California, and is the only place you can apply and see if you qualify for a tax credit or subsidy as a Californian resident.
- You have the option of cancelling your Covered California enrollment at any time — just make sure you have other health insurance lined up or else you may be unable to get it back until next year’s open enrollment which can cost you a tax penalty as well as expensive medical bills.
If you have any other questions regarding your health care coverage, do not hesitate to call us at 415-386-2283 during our business hours or email us at [email protected] anytime!