Examples of Property Damage and Bodily Injury Claims
The best way to understand how general liability insurance protects small business is to look at examples of this policy in action. You already know that general liability usually helps cover lawyer fees, court expenses, damages to properties belonging to third parties, and immediate medical costs for people injured on your property. You know that general liability covers lawsuits including claims about property damage, bodily injuries, reputation damages, and other common lawsuits. But what does that look like on a day-to day basis for various companies? Here are some examples of property damage and bodily injury claims that may affect your small business.
Property Damage Claims Examples:
When property is damaged or destroyed because of a company’s negligence, it can face a lawsuit for damages. Here are some examples of property damage claims:
- A contractor is working on a home renovation project and accidentally causes significant damage to a wall leaving it exposed to the outdoors. The house is temporarily unlivable. The homeowners sue for $125,000 to cover the cost of repair to wall as well as costs for temporary housing.
- A contractor is installing a new kitchen. He forgets to shut off the water and floods the entire kitchen. The water seeps through the floors into the basement. The homeowner sues for $200,000 in damages to her home.
- A truck driver accidentally runs into the building of the restaurant that he is delivering produce to and causes severe property damage to the brick and masonry. The restaurant sues the truck driver $350,000 for replacement costs for the damage.
Bodily Injury Claims Examples:
By law, a business is required to operate in safe and careful manners. If a business causes a bodily injury, it may face a negligence lawsuit. One of the most common examples of bodily injury negligence claims include slip-and-fall accidents.
- A produce deliveryman slips on the wet floor of a freshly mopped kitchen. The produce smashes all over the floor and is unusable. Furthermore, the delivery man slips and tears a tendon in his knee and needs to get surgery to treat the injury. He sues the restaurant for $200,000 in medical costs, lost wages, and other expenses.
- On a busy weekend afternoon, a hairstylist spills some hair product on the floor while tending to one of her customers. A customer seated nearby is finished with her appointment, and as she walks by to leave she slips on the product and breaks her arm. She sued the hair salon for $50,000 in damages, pain and suffering and medical costs.
- On a rainy morning, a customer slips on wet floor while shopping. It had been raining very heavily and some water and mud had been tracked into the store. The employees were too busy handling an influx of shoppers to clean up the slippery floor. The customer is injured and is required to go to the hospital to receive medical treatment. She sues the store for $45,000 of medical costs and other expenses.
- A photographer is shooting family portraits for a client. As the family walks into the studio, the mother trips over the cord for the flash and falls, fracturing her spine. The family sues the photographer for $145,000 in medical damages and loss of income since the mother couldn’t work for months while she was recovering.
- A general contractor was working on a residential remodel project when the homeowner brought a friend over to check out the progress on the renovations. While the visitor was admiring the work of the nearly finished project, he was suddenly struck in the head by a heavy ladder that had been propped up against the wall. The homeowner sued the contractor for his friend’s injury for medical expenses from the accident.
Running a business is challenging enough without having to worry about lawsuits, customer injuries, or property damage. General liability insurance can help cover the costs of various lawsuits including attorney’s fees, court costs and settlements in situations like the examples outlined above. We understand that every business is unique and may need different coverage to suit their needs. At Jessica Liu Insurance Services, we want to give you the peace of mind to focus on running your business. Let us help you find the perfect policy that fits your budget and covers your business’ specific needs. Just give us a call at 415-386-2283 or send us a message at [email protected] to review your current policy or receive a free quote on a new policy!
Want to see more examples of claims? Check out other general liability claims examples below!